Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent

Well, lent has started. I would say that I have been dreading lent because I hate giving things up for lent. I don't consider myself to have many vices or obstacles keeping me from God. Maybe that is one obstacle, my pride not allowing me to admit that I do have obstacles. In years past it was an easier choice for me to pick things to give up for lent. I think the reason that it was easy for me was that I didn't understand why I was giving something up. Therefore, I just gave up stuff to be like everyone else, to at least be in line with my Catholic roots. I had no idea of the relationship of Jesus' suffering and aligning that with my own lenten sacrifice of giving up something that is a obstacle for my relationship with God. I must say that I do have a better understanding of that now, but still have trouble "giving up" what I can't admit is standing between me and God.

I listened to the things other people were giving up to get an idea of what I could do this lent. However, items such as sweets, diet sodas, alcohol, video games(my kids are trying that one) and smoking are just not obstacles that are in my way. I don't smoke or drink, so those are automatically out. I do understand that these may be legitimate sacrifices if you do these on a regular basis(addiction), and therefore are great things to give up.

This leads me to what I am giving up this lent. I am giving up meat, that is the flesh of "warm blooded" animals as per scribed by the Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge. I read that in the church bulletin last week. Now, in my opinion the eating of meat does not impede my relationship with God. However, my wife has decided to abstain from meat the entire Lenten season, not just the mandated Ash Wednesday, Friday's and Good Friday, but everyday during lent. My thinking on this is that what does seem to be a stumbling block in my dealings with my God is my relationship with my wife. We have a great relationship, don't get me wrong. But we do not always see eye to eye on things. As we started to argue in a loving way about what she is giving up, it hit me that by not having our relationship in alignment is the main thing getting in my way of being closer to God. So, I decided to "give up" meat this lent to be in better union with Mary and consequently, God might smile upon my decision. And that would bring me closer to God.

I have not disclosed everything to you all. because like in the Gospel reading from the Ash Wednesday mass (Matthew 6), Jesus tell us to "pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you." Therefore, i will keep in secret any other Lenten dealings that I may have.

I pray and hope that everyone who reads this is doing something to increase their dealings with God.

No comments: