Thursday, March 26, 2009

what's the point of all of this suffering?


This time of the year is a time to repent and get ready for Easter( the most event in all of Christianity). As if this is not enough to think about I have encountered several situations this lent that include suffering and pain. It is in these times that I realize that I can either be a source of hope to others or a source of distraction. I choose to be a source of hope and inspiration. Jesus died for our salvation and all the pain and anguish He suffered, He suffered for us. I need to remember this as I see pain and suffering in the world. I need to remember that what we go through is not unlike the pain that our Lord and savior went through. Pain is temporary, in the scope of our existence on Earth. But that does not always make it easier to be in pain. We are earthly people who have the hope and ability to be with God in Heaven.
Fr. Stan Fortuna says it best in one of his songs, "Everybody got to suffer". I think that to truly be aligned with Jesus, we must go through a period of pain and suffering, then commit all of that to the glorification of God. (AMDG: Ad Majorem Dei Glorium)

It would be easy to just say that, but I remind you that I live that daily. Most of the readers of this blog know that 6 years ago, I suffered a ruptured colon, a 4 week coma, and 12 months of recovery, which included a 10 month stint in physical and neurological rehabilitation. I could not have made it through that time without the example that Jesus gave to us all. The story of His passion, death and most importantly Resurrection are available to anyone who has eyes or ears and wants to know it.
I say that the Resurrection is most important because that is the time that gives us hope as we suffer through our pain, whether it's physical, emotional or spiritual. One day, we too, will resurrect and feel no pain. That is the hope. Give God glory in all things, even our sufferings and pain, and God will give it back to us through Salvation.

I am praying for quite a few special intentions. Keep these names in your prayers, that Gods will be done in each of their lives as well as those of others you may know.

They are:
Peter
Daryl
Tommy
Sabrina
Phoebe
William
KC
Poppie
Scott
Joann
Jerry

Lord, hold them all tight to you and give them all piece through their sufferings,.

Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Stan Fortuna song. But everyone thinks that in this day and age suffering has no merit; you can spend your way out of it or do something immoral to get relief.

Anonymous said...

ich o pooooorrrr goda sufa

-Elie

Steven Wallace said...

Thanks for quoting the song you 2 year old genius!