Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's like Christmas, but no garland!


The remainder of Elani's 2nd grade curriculum came in today. Elani now has math, science, social studies and a home catechism course available at her disposal. She was excited, she tore into the Catholic Heritage Curriculum box like it was a Christmas gift on Christmas morning. We got started with the first math lesson right away. The math was easy to jump right into, the others will require me to at least have some sort of plan of action, which I must do tonight. The first 2 pictures here of Elani are of her working on her math.

I also took a few pictures of Elizabeth doing her Social Studies which is a survey course on World History, with an emphasis on the Catholic viewpoint on history. She did an American History last year from a Catholic perspective, that was very good.

















Emma scored an "A" on her 1st big science test today. I was very excited for her. Science has been a struggle for her in the past, probably because there was a kind of incongruence between what she learned at public school and what she learns at home, her parents different twists on some topics. She was left with a "who do I believe ?" feeling. Now that she is learning science from a true Catholic Christian perspective and is free to learn in this way, she is much more comfortable in Science. Also, she told me today that the one on one aspect of studying her lessons with me actively during the lesson enables her to be interested and to follow along with the materials. That was cool for me to hear. I know that I am having a positive effect on my children and their education!!!!

Finally Elie has to be involved in some way. So, today during Elie's math lesson we let her draw on the dry erase board after we were done using it for learning her lesson. So, during her Elani's independent math work, the dry erase board was free for Elie to use.













I was able to get alot of teaching done in what seemed like a short time today, which has me wondering if I actually taught as much as I think I did. Of course, the girls all tell me I did, they love to finish "early" and would not presume to tell me that I didn't teach as well as they needed. That would set them up for another round of Mr. Wallace's teaching.

I pray that I taught them as well as they needed today. In fact, my prayer every school day is to be a great Father for them, like St. Joseph was for Jesus, and to be a great teacher for them like countless saints have been through the ages. It is times I get an inkling that this prayer is working when one of the kids thanks me like Emma did today and tells me "thanks for spending one on one time with me". What parent would not want to hear that from one of their kids? no matter what the subject or reason.

I also gotta say that I love my wife. I try to love her with an Ephesians kind of love. She has been working hard, and I have not been as patient with her as I should be. I promise to try harder to be the support that she needs.

4 comments:

Mary Frances said...

I think you've found your purpose, steve. I love you and you are doing a great job!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I checked out your blog after reading your post on Holy Family's forum. Really great! I wish there were more dads you could connect with. It looks like you are doing a great job though, I love the blog!
Gwen

Steven Wallace said...

Thanks Gwen... I will keep posting and it really lifts my spirits when people just check in and say "good job". I guess that is what Mary was thinking when she suggested I post my address on the HF web site.

Steve

Kim said...

So cool, Steve!!! It's great to know what y'all are up to, and even greater to know you're living your lives with such Purpose and Passion! I know y'all are both amazing parents, and I'm excited to reconnect with you guys! Here's to a great homeschooling dad!
On a side note, I was going through some old pictures and found a pic of Emma and Elizabeth when y'all came over to visit when Trey was a baby (that would be 9 years ago!!!). I hate that we've never met each others 3rd and 4th children! We just must get together sometime in the future!
Love to all!
Kim :)