Sunday, September 21, 2008

The weekend is over, already.

Yep, It's Sunday night at 8:34pm and I am thinking about school tomorrow. I really should be going over lesson plans right now, that way I have a game plan for the week. The only, well, not only problem is that I also have other things to do. The main thing being Reading for this years first RSI classes at the diocese. Religious Studies Institute is an adult catechism, college level program, that is used in Baton Rouge as a prerequisite for the deaconite program. I am in my 2nd year, and hopefully will be eligible to start taking, be in the deaconate starting next fall, that is if the diocese starts a new class next fall. I know there is a discernment process before you actually start, but right now I feel totally lead to this vocation in everything I do. I must admit that during Mass I watch our Deacon intently and want to do what I see him doing on the altar and to be of greater service to God and my community.

I have about 9 chapters to read before Saturday for Church History, and a few Chapters that I really should re-read for Catholic Morality. A tall order when I spend most of the day teaching home school lessons and running my kids to their extra curricular activities including coaching Elani's soccer team. My prime reading/study time is late night when the kids are in bed. That is also the best time for me to prepare lesson plans for home school. There are not enough hours in the night! My days have enough hours to do what I need with the children, it is the night time that I need to lay the ground work for everything I do, and believe it or not, I do get tired. I try not to show it but I do.

Anyway, most of the lesson plans are done for tomorrow, my thing is that I was thinking today that maybe I should plan for the week and have a one on one session with each child/student on Monday mornings to kind of map out the week. I will try this and then keep up with the kids to make sure they get the weekly work done every week. I am thinking that this may allow me to spend more time focusing on what the girls need me to focus on and less time reviewing stuff that they are pretty good at. I'll try this for a week or two and then reevaluate. I'll keep the progress of this technique posted.

One last thing that is on my mind. I enjoy teaching 9th grade catechism at Church. This is my 5th year of teaching 9th grade. We had our first class of the year and the kids listened to nearly every word I said. I Was glad the students paid attention. I pray for each of them to find and know God every day. I truly believe that they know that I want that for each of them.

May God bless each person that reads my blog. My screen saver is a quote from Psalm 27 "the Lord is my light and my salvation". I pray that everyone that I come into contact can say these words with conviction. A.M.D.G (for the greater glory of God)

7 comments:

melancholic smirk said...

What's A.M.D.G?

Scott said...

I think it means,
Another Martini Dry Gin

Steven Wallace said...

Actually AMDG is an acronym for a latin phrase that means "for the greater glory of God". Many Jesuits and other religious write it on the top or bottom of their letters, manuscripts and writings to remind them that what they are writing or doing is done to give God the glory.

melancholic smirk said...

Wouldn't that be "f.t.g.g.o.g."?

Must be the latin version.

Steven Wallace said...

No, it's a latin phrase that when translated means for the greater glory of God. The phrase in latin is "ad majorem Dei gloriam "

Anonymous said...

you are the smartest man I've ever met.

Your Loving Wife...

Mary

Scott said...

I admit that you are smart, But your no Mr Wizard or Bill Nye the Science Guy. Or Ken Jennings(from jeopardy), that guy won like 30 days in a row. AMAAAAAAAZING!