Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Battle of the "bulge"


For those of you who have known me for more than a couple of years you know that I have struggled with my weight since Kindergarten. A couple of years ago, after my illness, which I am sure had something to do with being overweight, I actually went on the Atkins diet and went from 270 lbs to 200 lbs. This was an achievement I was very proud of. I thought I will never get back above 210 again. well, it has been a couple of years since then and I have crept back in the 240 range. This is quite depressing. I did not want to go back on Atkins because there are so many people that have told me that while Atkins will help drop weight in a hurry that the long term effects of a high fat, protein laden diet will have serious long term effects, I am willing to "risk it". I want to be able to fit in my "skinny" jeans, yes ladies, men do have "skinny" clothes. But we will never admit that fact face to face. Anyway, my new goal is to drop 60 pounds and be at 180 pounds by Mardi Gras.
I will then be able to avoid pictures like the one I have posted, where I think I look a little bit like Jabba the Hut!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so afraid of this picture...and it has nothing to do with your weight.

Scott said...

how did you get to go to Jurrasic Park and why wasn't I invited?

From my limited study on the subject I would suggest that the healthiest thing to do is to find a balance between a healthy diet and exercise. Basically, you need to burn more caloies than you intake. That results in weight loss. But, even more important than weight loss and numbers on a scale is overall health and good feelings. If you weigh 170 but feel like crap all the time then whats the point.

Healthy living, That's the key.

melancholic smirk said...

You don't look like Jabba. Maybe a serial killer, but not Jabba.

And anyway, I'd rather look like Jabba than Jar Jar. Lol.

There have been a lot of interesting new studies that compare a lower-carb diet to a low fat, and I think that there are some merits to cutting out wheat and processed foods and eating lots of veggies, fats, and natural protein. I also think that fats are good for the body, especially the brain.

Go to the library and get Gary Taubes new book, "Good calories, Bad Calories." It's pretty eye-opening.

melancholic smirk said...

And I was just kidding about the serial killer comment. You're a handsome dude. Kinda like your little bro!

Steven Wallace said...

well mr or mrs anonymous, you now have me feeling insecure on so many levels. Thank you,, I am a little less concerned about my weight now.

Scott, I didn't got to Jurassic park. I would definitely take you with me. You would be my protection against the velocoraptors. I'd pull you in front of mr, and they could eat on you while I ran and hid.This was a picture I took in NYC this spring at the museum of natural history...

K Renee, Thanks for the input. I will go ahead with the low/no carb thing. I didn't feel bad last time. But you know, sometimes the doughnuts know your name, and call out to me incessantly.

melancholic smirk said...

You really need to get that book. It talks a lot about the myths of a low-fat diet.

melancholic smirk said...

Oh, and don't forget the siren call of beer. . .

Steven Wallace said...

true but Beer has fewer carbs than doughnuts. I believe a light beer only has 5 or 6 grams of carbs compared to a doughnut which probably has a gazillion grams.

my numbers may be skewed, but I doubt that there is a significant difference in the actual carbs of each.