Friday, October 24, 2008

Do I need an "employee review"?



This is a picture of our new dog, Jenny. She is a Golden Retriever that was abandoned near a friends house. The gilrs love her, my wife loves her, and I, the new caretaker of the dog, love her too.

On the home schooling front, it seems as if we are marching in mud, barely making progress. The last few days have been spent focusing more on 4H, new dog, swim team and any other extracurricular activity we can find. We will have to go the show back on the road. And by saying "we", I mean "me"... I guess that being used to giving and receiving employee evaluations for so long has me longing for the days of a good, honest employee review. While in the workforce getting a review from my boss always meant that I would find out if I've done a good job over the past year or not.

Being the teacher at home school is not that clear cut. If my wife gives me a review I will get defensive because we are partners not subordinates. If the kids review my work, that is just INSANE!!!

So, what I try to do is review or grade myself. That's kind of what I used to do at work. That way I'd have an idea of what my boss was about to tell me during my review. Currently I grade myself at a "C". I never get done all of the things I hope to get done in a week. I don't have "down time", so I know that I am doing stuff.

Anyway, me and the girls have a busy weekend ahead of us. It includes Soccer, LSU football(on TV of course), Church Fair and World Youth Day. I will miss the Saints game on Sunday from London because I am chaperoning the World Youth Day with our youth group.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Looks like a pretty dog, and I love Emma's shirt. I think you should send that picture out as your Christmas card.

Steven Wallace said...

I doubt I'll use that as a Christmas card. when will Jenny meet her cousins Sadie and Lilly?