Monday, October 6, 2008

It's been a long time...

It's been over a week since I have blogged about our home schooling or anything else. The title of this blog is in reference to the Led Zeppelin song "rock and roll". Hopefully you know the lyrics, and if you don't you can look them up.

Anyway, many things have happened over the last 10 days. We have had swim meets, soccer matches, Vice-presidential debates(yes I had the kids watch the debate), it was our current events lesson for the week. We visited the home school group's "park day" on Friday, it was alot of fun, just wish I had been warned about the amount of sand I'd be bringing home.

My main thought today is, the weekends and how they lead into the week. Our weekends like many other families weekends are super busy. All of the children are involved in some sort of activity that usually culminates in a weekend activity. This is fine, and I enjoy the motion and energy required to do things such as swim meets, soccer games, youth group, etc. I don't like the fact that I don't get enough rest on the weekends, which leads into an unenergetic Monday morning. In fact, I am hoping that this posting is making sense. So far, this morning the kids are doing better than me, which is a good thing. This is keeping me going.

I also teach 9th grade Catechism on Sunday mornings. This has been a great ministry for me. I enjoy teaching our Catholic faith to kids who I judge don't get catechized at home. I wish they did and our Sunday morning lessons were more of a review, but that is not the case. It is difficult to get 9th grade students to focus at 9 am on Sunday mornings, But now that I have students at home all week and go through the same thing with my own kids on a daily basis, it is a little easier to deal with it on Sunday mornings.

This weeks lesson was on The Trinity. Most of the kids had a fairly good understanding of the Trinity. By that I mean they knew the three persons of the Trinity. I guided them to understand that what separates the Christian religions from other monotheistic religions such as Judaism and Islam is the belief in one God, but as three separate person. And that we recall this belief every time we pray or enter Church for mass by doing the Sign of the Cross. When we are praying or recalling our baptism by dipping our hands in the holy water at church upon entering the church and signing ourselves in the name of the father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", we acknowledge the presence and importance of all 3 of these person in our one God. I am certain that the kids understood this, and if they take one thing away from class yesterday it was that they have 3 people in one God who have their back when times are good and when times get tough.

The home school has a busy week ahead of it. So, I pray that we can actually be steadfast in our work, and that everything we do can glorify our awesome creator(God), redeemer(Jesus), and sanctifier(Holy Spirit),

Amen

3 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Good points, Stevie. We are so busy. The kids' lives are full of activity. I, too, wonder if all of the activity is worth it. Our dinner times are less and less, but what is disconcerting is that we usually had the weekends to have 3 squares together...now that's not the case. Maybe we could work on this as a family.

I love you, and I am glad you are leading us to holiness.

Mary

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings Wolfer

Seeing that Hebrew children (including Jesus the Messiah) were never taught "The Trinity";
but rather were taught the Shema i.e.
(Deu 6:4-7) Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. ...

Shouldn't this give you reason to pause??

Jesus, himself, the Messiah, quotes this verse as the foremost (first) of all the commandments in Mark 12:28-34.

This was therefore, Jesus' creed; therefore, as Christians, followers of Christ, this ought to be our creed!

If Jesus was never taught such a concept as the trinity when he was a child in light of Deut 6.4-7 (the first of all the commandments), then is it right that we teach such things to children??
Surely we ought not to!

Jesus' creed stipulates that GOD is ONE i.e. ONE Being, ONE Person, for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
[Mark 12.32]

Jesus identifies his Father as
the only true GOD.
[John 17.3]
Paul concurs ...

(1 Cor 8:4) ... that there is none other God but one.
(1 Cor 8:6) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; ...

Thus, there is solely ONE GOD,
the Father.


A child can easily understand that.
Indeed, this was the understanding of the early church
(TO US there is but one God, the Father)

This teaching is indeed foundational for a child's understanding of GOD; i.e.
the fact that GOD is ONE & this ONE GOD is the Father;
indeed, the GOD & Father of our
Lord Jesus Christ.
[2 Cor 11.31, Eph 1.3, Col 1.3, 1 Pet 1.3]

Therefore, I encourage you, as a truthseeker, to consider the difference between Jesus' creed and the catechism that you're using.

For more info on this subject,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Steven Wallace said...

Hello Adam Pastor,

My blogging is a tool that I am using to motivate myself in my endeavour to home school my children. It is also a tool I use to Glorify God, in whatever ways I can. I never meant for this blog to be a mechanism for dialogue about theological beliefs or a chance o convert others to my way of thinking. The fact that I am Roman Catholic and that I also teach catechismto high school students does, I suppose, open any discussions of the subject on this blog to criticism and contradiction meant to disprove my beliefs.

That being said, I am not sure of how you think I should or will respond. Let me say that I truly believe that what the Catholic Church has taught about the Trinity since the 4th century is correct. I believe in the use of scripture, which I assume that you wpuld agree with, as well as tradition, which I assume that you do not.
The Trinity is the core belief of most Christian religions. It is a mystery that is very difficult to understand. I mainly want to respond to your idea that since Jesus was not taught the Trinity as a jewish child, that we should not teach our children the Trinity. Jesus was not taught the Trinity because that theological point had not yet been fully revealed, until His death and resurrection.
To quote a friend of mine on this discussion, "Of course Jesus was not taught the fullness of revelation when he was a child! He was the fullness of revelation. He is the gospel. He is the Word made flesh."