Wednesday, November 5, 2008

another crazy week

The week from October 29 - November 5 has been "nutso" to quote the Fonz, from Happy Days. From the moment I was told that Mr B was probably not going to make it through the night, his funeral, Halloween plans, Soccer matches(which frustrate me to no end, I am the coach), driving all over southeast LA, trying to get some home schooling done, the national elections(which did not go my way), chasing after a new dog and chasing a 2 year old that apparently has a tape recorder for a voice box has been pretty rough. However, through it all there has been 1 constant for me. The love of God manifest through the bonds of my marriage to Mary.

I do have a few random things to talk about. And these are not ordered based on importance, just as I think about them I will type them.

1. Having now officially rescued an abandoned Golden Retriever has its rewards. I can tell that "Jennie" likes to be around all of us. She is getting used to the way her new family does things.

2. The girls loved meeting our "step" family in Slidell, Metairie and the general New Orleans area. I say "step" family only to identify that group of family members. I have always thought of step family as part of my family just like an adopted person is now a part of the family, so is a step person.

3.  The National elections. I am disappointed that John McCain lost the election. I truly believed that he was the best candidate for the country. I judge that the citizens of America that voted for President-elect Obama got wrapped up in the celebrity, rock star appeal of Barack Obama. In my opinion the country voted, not on issues, but on looks. The features and benefits, to use sales terms, were not truly considered. We Americans now have a pretty, shiny big screen high definition TV, I just will pray, like my old customers, that we don't have to use the extended warranty to fix the TV when it breaks. (we do have a 4 year warranty, don't we?)

I am also concerned about the make up of our senate and house of representatives, which are both now overwhelmingly Liberal. I think that our forefathers in the beginning of our great nation never conceived of a political party having this much power. I judge that 3 fairly balanced branches of government would be better for our country. But now with all 3 branches leaning significantly to the "left", I am a bit worried that our government may end up throwing out the baby with the bath water. I just hope that President-Elect Obama will make good, sound decisions and truly reach across the aisle and have a balanced administration.

well, that's all I really have time to type for now. I will post some more soon but right now I am going to try to get my student, daughters back into the mode of learning and doing school work.

Oh yeah, 1 last thing! LSU plays host to the University of Alabama this weekend. LSU has has reduced itself to the role of "spoiler". I know that at the beginning of the season I didn't expect LSU to go to the BCS championship game, however once the season started I still had hope. I also did not expect this to be a super year for the Crimson Tide. It will all come to a head this Saturday at 230pm in Death Valley, I'll be watching on TV. I just hope it is not a blow out like the UF and UGA games.

6 comments:

melancholic smirk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melancholic smirk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melancholic smirk said...

Maybe I should just delete my comments.

Steven Wallace said...

what? I didn't even get to see your comments. thats not fair. I still like you though.

Anonymous said...

Honey, thank you for your insight. I love you!

Mary

Scott said...

I think Obama will do fine. I didn't vote for him, but I think he will be OK. I think that a lot of people did drink the Kool-aid, but many repubs crossed the aisle to vote for him. Maybe they did get caught up in the flashy lights and rhetoric. But maybe it's time we had someone we could all truly get behind. There is no way the masses would have fallen in behind McCain, but it is possible that the country can unite behind Obama.

Will they? I don't know. Should they? I don't know. But it would be nice to be unified again, at least for a little while.